Thursday, September 17, 2009

The New Life

I've been in the US for 10 days now and am loving every minute of it but I haven't had much time to post oh here until now. So I'm finally in New Mexico. It's gorgeous. It's very different to Australia in so many ways. There are lots of dirt roads, hills, mountains and 4 way stop signs! I arrived on Saturday after flying from New York to Mineappolis then onto New Mexico. Both flights were smooth although a little turbulence here and there. We got delayed in Mineappolsis due to rain so we arrived in New Mexico about 10-15 minutes late. I was so excited to finally touch down and am officially over flying. I was greeted in New Mexico by my host mom. She was so lovely. We had to drive an hour to the house so we talked heaps and she told me about the kids and different things. It was a quick drive actually cause we talked the whole hour.

It was great to finally meet my host family. The parents are really nice, down to earth and caring while the kids are exciting, gorgeous and welcoming. The first night we all watched 'Little Man' together along with 2 friends who were staying over. Sunday morning I got to sleep in and then my host mom, Kam, Kam's friends & mom and I all went out to breakfast, kinda like a girls morning. It was really nice. We went to a little Mexican roadhouse and I ordered a breakfast burrito. It was huge and yummy but something different. It was a soft tortilla wrap filled with eggs, bacon, potatoes and cheese with green chilli sauce tipped over the top. Green chillis are really nice, not too hot either. After breakfast, my host mom and I went driving around so she could show me different places including the kids' schools, their work places and some other places. It's such a beautiful, historic area. So unique and beautiful. That afternoon I went out driving with my host dad, he said I was a really good driver and had no hesitations letting me drive the kids. That's was really cool considering I drive on the opposite side of the road back home and on the otherside of the car but you know what? I love driving here! I'm driving a Kia Sportage and it's a much bigger car then I'm used to but I love it.

As soon as Monday morning came around, that's when I officially started. My days consist of waking at 6am so I can prepare the kids lunches, make breakfast, wake the kids and pack school bags or sports bags. Then I drive the kids to school. I'm off mostly during the day but I do a few loads of laundry, tidy the kids rooms and load the dishwasher. I start back up again at 2pm and do pick up from school, help with afternoon homework, drive to sporting practices and then help with more homework. So far it's been interesting and a little challenging in the homework department with concentration from the kids but otherwise all is good.
I've shopped a little bit, drove around town, pumped some gas, cooked scrambled eggs and driven on the other side of the road. I'd say I'm doing good right about now. Plus, if you can drive up the driveway well then I'm more then ok cos that thing takes at least 5 minutes to drive down and then another 5 minutes to drive back up again. It's bumpy, hilly, rocky and looooong. But I've got the hang off it and love it. For those of you back home and want an idea of the driveway, let's just say you definiately need a 4WD to get up it cos it's like going 4WDriving!!! It's crazy!!!

Anyways, I'm sure I've left things out like all the stuff that happened in New York but I'm so exhausted that I'm going to head to bed and get an early night. I'm meeting some other Au Pairs tomorrow for coffeee. Really excited. It will be nice to know some other girls around here. So I'm off and bed and I'll write again soon.

No comments: