Friday, October 30, 2009

Kate Voegele Concert

Nearly all my friends and family back home and also here in the US know that I'm a big fan of actress/singer Kate Voegele. So when she posted new tour dates a month ago, I was completely surprised to find out that she was headed to New Mexico. Never thought that would happen. So I jumped online and booked my ticket. My host parents were so nice that they gave me the whole night off and told me I could stay overnight too so I also booked a room at a youth hostel. I was so excited. Well, yesterday I headed to Albuquerque on the train which is a 90 minute trip so I could see Kate in concert. I arrived in the city around 1pm and followed direction to the hostel which was a good 20 minute walk but it was on the main street so I got to pass by alot of great little cafes, shops and also the nightclub where Kate would be playing. So I checked into my room, settled and then checked out the town a little bit. Walking down the main street and finding somewhere to eat lunch. But 2 minutes into my walk it started snowing and not just a little bit of snow but alot of snow. So much that I could barely open my eyes to see and everything suddenly became white. I stopped by the place Kate was going to perform which is called Launchpad and took a few photos of her poster and the building. While I was standing out the front this guy came running out, twirling around and taking pictures of the snow. He was like 'I love snow. Don't you just love it too?'. I was like 'Yeah, it's pretty cool altho this is way too much snow. It's crazy'. Then he was like 'Quick, smile.' And took a photo before I could even respond. Then he was asking me if I was going to the show and stuff. I asked him was he and he said oh you will find out tonight if your going. It was crazy. He was seriously like a little boy on Christmas morning. (I later found out, his in Kate's band!)

After that little crazy moment, I kept walking and found a little cafe to some lunch. It was called Nick's Diner or something like that. It was a small nice place and really warm which was good cos it was freezing outside. I ordered a chicken finger basket and coke, then sat down and listened to my iPod til my food came. After lunch I ventured back out into the cold weather but thankfully it had stopped snowing. I was so cold I decided to head back to the hostel and relax. I tried reading but I was so tired that I took a 2 hour nap. I felt so much better after that!

I headed out the door around 5.30pm which was a little crazy because the doors didn't open til 7pm but I was so bored of sitting around after waking from my nap, I just bundled up in jackets and walked down town. When I say walked, I mean I probably walked the whole 10 blocks about 20 times just to make the time go faster and also keep warm. Not that it helped at all. Around 6.30pm I stopped and waited near the club which was funny cos I was standing near the corner which was right near Kate's tour bus. I must have looked a little crazy, standing in the middle of the walk way and texting but it was deifiately a good spot because Kate walked out from the back of the building and right near me to go onto the bus. She waved and said hello. I was thinking, 'Oh my gosh, it's Kate'. It was a little surreal at first. She's so tiny!

So, then I went and lined up (I was first in line!) and stood, and waited and stood some more until they finally let us go inside. When the guy took my name for the guest list, he told me I wasn't on it which was crazy since I had already paid for my ticket online and had confirmation sent through but turns out he was looking up the wrong name. Bit weird, since he was staring at my I.D. and the list at the same time but still couldn't spell my name. Hmm. So, I went in and got to buy some merchandise. I ended up buying 2 shirts, a hoodie, 2 CDs and a tote bag. Yeah, I know alot but who knows when I would get the opportunity again, right? After I had brought my stuff, the security guy kicked me out again cos we weren't allowed to listen to the soundcheck for one for the opening artists. Back to the line I went, only this time I was about 7th. Annoying! Finally allowed back in again, I made my way to the stage and managed to get front row but at a side view. It was perfect for me. I loved it altho at time it did get a little loud!

The first opening act was Kevin Hammond. He was a really good singer. I normally don't care much for the opening acts cos most of the time they are boring but these guys were really good. Second up was Green River Ordinance who again were really good. I even brought both the opening acts CDs. Kevin Hammond signed my CD too. It was pretty cool.

Kate came on stage around 10pm. I had a little heads up from a friend when she would come on stage (thanks, Steph!). It was amazing when she finally came out. Again, she's so tiny but really wonderful. She opened with I Get It followed by Inside Out and then she gave a little introduction and welcoming. We had the set list in front of us on the stage so that was cool to know what was coming up. At first it was a little hard to hear her sing cos it was so loud but it improved alot after the first few songs. I had Steph on the phone on and off all night so she could listen to the songs. Almost felt like she was at the concert with me! All Kate's songs are amazing live but I do have to say her live version of Unfair was beyond amazing. Definiately, my favorite.

She played 14 songs which included two covers. She really interacts with the crowd and gives a great performance. The time went so quickly too. After the show I got to do the meet & greet line since I had purchased merchandise. So I made sure I was near the very end of the line (another hint from Steph!) and it worked out really great cos I got to talk a little more with Kate and give her some Australian gifts. She was so sweet. At first, she thanked me for coming out to see her plus she signed my CD and then when I said no worries, she looked up and asked where I was from cos of my accent. She was excited when I said Australia, she asked me a few questions about how long I'm in the U.S. for, if I'm enjoying it, what I thought of the concert and if I was watching season 7 of One Tree Hill. Then I gave her some gifts and she was like 'Are those for me? Aw, thank you so much. They are so cute.' Then I told her about the board (I moderate a fan board for Kate) and that I was good friends with Stephanie and her face lit up and she was so excited all over again. She was like 'Oh, you girls are so awesome. I really appreciate your support.' Then she got up and hugged me and kept saying thank you. She told me she is going to make it to Australia to perform one day. We also talked a little about One Tree Hill, Bethany Joy Galeotti and her style. Kate is so sweet when she talks about others. It was nice to hear her talk about her co-stars. So then it was time to leave and when I was walking back to the hostel I could hear Joy music playing really loud. It was funny how many girls at the concert were also fans of Joy and Everly. Love it! It's so awesome when you suddenly hear Kate or Joy music playing cos that never happens for me! So that's what I did yesterday and I have to say it was one of the best days ever! Not every day you get to see Kate Voegele in concert especially when your from Australia.

No comments: